Usnisa Vijaya Dharani Sutra is a Mahayana sutra, which originates from India. This important Sutra was broadly practiced and circulated in China during the Song and Tang dynasties.
This sutra was translated for a total of 8 times from Sanskrit to Chinese between 679-988 CE. The Sutra gained wide circulation in China.
It is an extremely important spiritual prayer. This potent prayer can eliminate all evil (or negative) karmic obstacles and eradicate the suffering of all sentient beings. The Sutra is held by some that when the dharaṇi (which is along mantra) is heard, it can imbue the alaya consciousness (or „storehouse consciousness”) with pure seeds that will help to lead one sentient being to Buddhahood.
Reciting Usnisa Vijaya Dharani Sutra benefits:
This is one of the highest Mahayana Sutra to eliminate all sufferings, bad karma, misery and pain. This powerful Sutra can purify and completely eliminates all sufferings of death and birth. It can also liberate all sufferings, pains, and miseries and of beings in the realms of hell, King Yama and animal, destroy all the hells, and will put sentient beings onto the virtuous path to liberation.
According to the Sutra, the essential functions of this long mantra include:
- Purify all karmic obstructions;
- Increase blessings and lengthen lifespan;
- Attain anuttara-samyak-saṃbodhi;
- Relieve sentient beings in the ghost realm;
- Benefit birds, animals, and all crawling creatures;
- Increase wisdom and knowledge;
- Revert the fixed karma;
- Eliminate various illness and diseases;
- Destroy hells;
- Harmonize wives and husbands;
- Be able to reborn in Sukhavati (pure land of Buddha Amitabha) or other pure lands;
- Heal sickness and sufferings inflicted by pretas (hungry ghosts);
- Ensure the safety of the families, and having children to inherit the family pride;
- Eliminate offenses and create good deeds;
- Request for rain;
- Destroy calamities and rescue those in difficulties.
The Sutra is a wonderful and powerful medicine that can universally liberate sentient beings from the sufferings in the cycles of birth and death, Samsara.
„Lord of Heaven, if someone listens this Dharani even for just a moment, he will not undergo karmic retribution from the evil karma and severe obstacles accumulated from thousands of kalpas ago, that would otherwise cause him to revolve in Samsara, the cycles of birth and death – in all kinds of life forms in the evil paths – hungry ghost, hell, animal, Asuras, realm of King Yama, Raksasa, Yaksa, spirits and ghosts, Kataputana, Putana, Apasmara, tortoises, mosquitoes, pythons, birds, dogs, ferocious animals, crawling creatures and even ants and other life forms.
Lord of Heaven, this man can be reborn in one of the above-mentioned prosperous and reputable families simply because he has heard this Dharani, and hence be reborn in a pure place.”- quote from Usnisa Vijaya Dharani Sutra.
According to the Records of the Teaching of this great Sutra by Great Dharma Master Fa Cong, the unsurpassed and great merits of this long mantra can be categorized into 10 doors as follows:
- The door of taking refuge under the sages.
- The door of revealing the Dharma Body.
- The door of purifying evil paths.
- The door of good and brightness initiation.
- The door of spiritual power protection.
- The door of lengthening the lifespan.
- The door of integrating wisdom and concentration.
- The door of Vajra offering.
- The door of universally attaining purity.
- The door of accomplishing Nirvana.
Owing to the positive merits accrued from listening for a moment this Dharani, once this very life is over, he will be reborn in the Buddha-lands, together with all the Ekajati-pratibaddha Bodhisattvas and Buddhas, or in a distinguished Brahmin or Ksatriya family, or in some other respected and wealthy family.
Image source – 1080.plus